Student Records

School student records are confidential and information from them will not be released other than as provided by law.

The school and district routinely discloses “directory” type information without consent. Directory information is limited to: name, address, gender, grade level, birth date and place, parents’ names and address; academic awards, degrees and honors; information in relation to school-sponsored activities, organizations, and athletics; major field of study; and period of attendance at the school. Any parent/guardian or eligible student (student 18 or older) may prohibit the release of directory information by delivering a written request to the building principal.

State and Federal law gives parents and eligible students certain rights with respect to their student records. These rights are:

1. The right to inspect and copy the student’s education records within 15 school days of the day the school receives a request for access. There may be a small charge for copies, not to exceed $.35 per page. This fee will be waived for those unable to afford such cost.

2. The right to request the amendment of the portion student’s education record that the parent/guardian or eligible student believes is inaccurate, misleading, irrelevant, or improper.

3. The right to permit disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except in certain circumstances. Disclosure is permitted without consent in the case of directory information and to school officials with legitimate educational or administrative interests. Disclosure is also permitted without consent to: any person for research, statistical reporting or planning, provided that no student or parent/guardian can be identified; any person named in a court order; appropriate persons if the knowledge of such information is necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other persons; juvenile authorities when necessary for the discharge of their official duties who request information before adjudication of the student; and in other cases permitted by law.

4. The right to complain to the U.S. Department of Education if the school or district fails to comply with the above. Federal officials can be contacted at:

Family Policy Compliance Office

U.S. Department of Education

400 Maryland Avenue. SW

Washington, D.C. 20202-4605

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2017 West Corporation. All rights reserved.